top of page

 

The following information was compiled by Tony Kane from The Maldon Museum & Archive Association.

A huge thank you to Tony and The Maldon Museum & Archive Association for their time and effort in putting this research together.

Reads: Claude Wearne, Baulkamaugh, Numurkah

Claude Wearne was born in Numurkah in 1893.

Both his parents, however, had close ties to Maldon.

 

His father and grandfather, both William Wearne, were born in

St Just, Cornwall and came to Maldon in 1857. His grandfather

was part of a group of miners who established the Great Western

mine, which was located near the current site of the

Vintage Machinery Museum. This mine, which was later known

as the Cymru, was very successful.

 

The extended Wearne family were heavily involved in the

Fountain Street Methodist Church.

 

Claude's mother was Alice Brooks, who was the daughter of

John Brooks, who lived on Edwards Street in the house between

the Baptist Church and the Neighbourhood Center.

In 1872, John Brooks purchased the Co-operative store in

Templeton Street. Before his purchase, the store was established in 1866 by the Maldon Co-operative Trading Company, but it unfortunately failed within a few years.

 

Alice’s brother, Thomas Bentley Brooks, operated the Co-operative store.

 

The store operated as a family business for about a century.

 

About 1878, Claude's grandfather, William Wearne, purchased land at Baulkamaugh near Numurkah so that his sons, including Claude’s father, could establish farms there.

 

Maldon State School records show that Claude and his brothers attended the school around 1900. At the time, they seemed to have been living with their grandparents.

 

Tragically, Claude died in 1915, aged 21, at his father’s farm at Baulkamaugh after he was kicked by a horse.

Claude Wearne, Baulkamaugh Numurkah | Maldon Vic | KAW Electrical & Solar | The Roofspace Chronicles and Beyond" - by Kirk

Reads: Villiers Bros, Painters, Dec ? XMAS 1900

Villiers Bros, Painters, Dec XMAS 1900 | Maldon Vic | KAW Electrical & Solar | The Roofspace Chronicles and Beyond" - by Kirk

In the 1903 electoral rolls, there was Alfred Villiers, who was living in High Street, who was described as a painter. On TROVE, Tony found a T Villiers living in Maldon around 1900.

Reads: Jim Dunstone 1964

The Dunstone family have been in Maldon for more than a century. In the 1960s, Arthur James Dunstone was farming at Nuggety.

It is likely that the Dunstone graffiti was written by Jim Dunstone when he was a schoolboy.

Jim Dunstone 1964 | Maldon Vic | KAW Electrical & Solar | The Roofspace Chronicles and Beyond" - by Kirk

Reads: Peter Honey 1964

Peter Honey 1964 | Maldon Vic | KAW Electrical & Solar | The Roofspace Chronicles and Beyond" - by Kirk

This graffiti was probably written at the same time as Jim Dunstone’s. Before 1964 there seems to be 7-2, which might suggest the graffiti was written on 7 February 1964.

 

Peter Honey was probably a similar age to Jim Dunstone.

 

In the 1972 electoral rolls, Peter Francis Honey was listed as a linesman living at “Timberoo”, Maldon. He would have been at least 21 years old in 1972 and so would have been at least 13 in 1964.

 

Later in the 1970s, Peter Honey was listed as living in Eaglehawk, Bendigo, in the electoral rolls.

"Blast From The Past" column, published in the Tarrangower Times on Friday, April 12, 2024.

Blast From The Past - A bit of graffiti
NETCC approved seller | Solar System Retailer | Solar System Installer | Solar Company | K.A.W Electrical & Solar | Maldon Vic | Central Vic
Solar Quotes Approved Installer | K.A.W Electrical & Solar Company | Maldon Vic

REC:  33915

ABN: 29 864 484 190

ELECTRICAL LICENSE: A53096

SAA: S1577650

  • Facebook

Copyright© 2025 K.A.W Electrical & Solar. All rights reserved.

bottom of page